Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Comfort kills your dreams

When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

When children are growing up they never say:
"When I grow up. I want to become an average paid worker nobody notices".
They want to become doctors, lawyers and astronauts, kids know how to dream big!
I know your also a dreamer, yet somewhere along the way you got to comfortable to keep forging ahead. 
Fear, security and comfort just got in the way of you reaching the top.

Myself, I'm doing pretty well career wise but I want more (I always do), I want more out of myself and I want to forge ahead in different areas in my industry and I know the ideal position I'm thriving towards.  With all that there is something I want even more, and that is to become a professional public speaker, that gets my blood pumping.  On top of that, I want to be so good I become a trainer to other professional public speakers, and that scares me.  So the first thing I do when the fear strikes me is tell myself to GO FOR IT!

To many of you have an automatic shut off switch once fear hits.  You feel fear, and you go right into your regular frame of mind of "I have a regular life, and it must remain exactly the same".
Your life does not need to remain the same, many years ago you started on a journey towards success and some how you shut down your motivation and  it happens to the best of us, but now it's time for you to keep moving ahead because the world is passing you by.

I'm not saying quit your job, let's take security out of this equation.  I'm talking about getting better so you can reach the top.  Learn to face comfort and fear head on, the second you face those two factors your whole life will begin to change.

If your a wash dishes in a bar and you can't see yourself owning the place one day, move on to something you want to do.  You may need to start at the absolute bottom position and work your way up but you got to start somewhere.  Get into a career that you see yourself at the top on day, if you don't start now you may feel to old to do anything else later down the road of life.

Use this checklist to get ahead

-How many years have you been doing the same thing? (depressing feeling isn't it)
-Determine exactly what you want to do
-Observe how the top people behave
-Start doing what you do, the best you know how
-Study books, audio and video on how to get better
-Accept any opportunities
-Don't over analyze, the world has no time
-Stay away from the conversations that make you question your ideal life

Now think back to your childhood, did you think you would be where you are today?  If you said no, then start back on that road to success and simply realize you settled into life because it got comfortable.

Stay motivated
Shane C

No comments:

Post a Comment