Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Have you been worrying?

How good is it to breath that sigh of relief when what you worried about turned out to not even happen?

I will be the first to admit that I worry about things.  Whenever the possibility of something going wrong could maybe happen, my mind races and comes up with scenarios that I'm sure will happen.  With that comes all kinds of negative emotions, scared, panic and the worst is anger.

In the book THE POWER OF NOW, Eckhart Tolle talks about "Mind Movies".  They are stories we make up in our mind of the worst case scenarios and we unfortunately get caught up in them.
One reason this happens is our subconscious mind cannot tell the different between what is real and what is unreal.  It simply goes by whatever you tell it, and if you mix emotion with what you tell it you truly start to believe it.

The lesson I've learned

The number one thing I have learned about Mind Movies is to stop trying to control people because I believe that they are doing something wrong.  I don't want to get into what recently happen to me but I almost got so angry at someone because I believed the were doing something so wrong that it could have effected their career and lifestyle.  A day passed and everything I had worried about turned out to not even happen.  I wasted so much time in a fantasy, what a waste.

Sometimes we need to put our minds on trial and really question the things we are worrying about.  The majority of the time the worst case scenarios never even happen.  We waste valuable time being angry and worried and this only stresses us out.

An exercise

Next time you are worried about something write it down.  Then, write down the absolute worst thing that could happen if it comes to see the light of day.
Next, I want you to force yourself to write out 3 things that could happen that would be a positive if the worry were to ever actually happen.
We do this little exercise to get our mind out of a negative state, always try to think a positives when you are worried it gets your thoughts out of the dungeons of negativity.

What I want you to come away with today is, know that your mind believes what you tell it over and over again.  Make sure you tell it what you want and not what you don't want.

Stay motivated
Shane C.

No comments:

Post a Comment