Monday, August 1, 2011

Mastering your emotions

Wouldn't you agree that if certain emotions did not exist we could get a lot more done?

Our emotions get in the way sometimes of making the right decisions.  We base what we want to do on how we feel instead of how things need to be done.  Don't believe me, ask yourself this:

The last time you were sad did you have the urge to eat a large salad and ensured you were drinking sufficient amounts of water?
The answer is probably "no", you wanted comfort food to fill the void.  This is what I mean by making decisions based on emotions.  It doesn't matter which emotion you are feeling, you may have certain behaviors that may be getting in the way of successful actions.

Here are 4 steps to help you overcome the emotions that may be affecting your judgement.

First you need to understand there are two different events happening around you.  Outside and inside....

Outside forces
The great thing about an outside force is that it is exactly that...an outside force... it has no emotional effect on you.

Inside forces
It's the emotions you feel based on how you assess the outside forces.

Here are the 4 steps:

1. Ask yourself what meaning I'm I giving to this outside influence and why?

2. What can I learn from myself by being exposed to this outside influence?

3.  How can I use this lesson in life?

4.  How can I teach others the lesson I've learned from this experience?

You will see that helping others overcome issues you have gone through can be very therapeutic in mastering emotions.  This is why step 4 is so important.

When you are overwhelmed, step away from yourself and observe the situation.  You can never think properly when emotions get in the way.

Stay motivated
Shane C.

No comments:

Post a Comment